Friday, August 9, 2013

Transitions

Whelp, I have finished my time at Broadfork Farm.

5 months almost to the day.
100+ days.
Too many hours to count.
Infinite seeds, plants, drops of water and sweat.

I don't know how to express my feelings of gratitude, sadness, contentedness, exhaustion, ambition, and the list could go on and on.

The folks are Broadfork are TOP NOTCH and operate a responsible, humble farm that provides local, sustainable produce for the area. Farming is an ongoing learning process and they have learned to manage the curve balls as well as one can in a constantly changing environment.

I'm transitioning from working to packing to Boston.
For the next week I will be packing, cleaning, sorting, and trying my best to catch on sleep. There will also be copious amounts of soaking up time with friends, favorite RVA sites and sounds, and reminding myself that Richmond will always be here. It may be home but I have to fly the coop and I can always return.

In the words of a famous country singer:

When your wheelhouse is the land of cotton,
The first time you leave it can be strange, it can be shocking
...
Oh, Dixie Land,
I hope you understand
When I miss my Tennessee Home
And I've been away way too long
I can't see this world unless I go
Outside my Southern Comfort Zone

(just replace Tennessee with Virginia)
Tomorrow as I spend time getting my act together I will think about Broadfork and what they've given to me. If you ever get a chance to know farmers or work on a farm, do not pass it up. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment